I’ve been coming across so many good gifts lately, that I had to get them all down someplace.
- Topobo construction kit with kinetic memory. Big sale at their online store right now.
- Uno – a card game for any age. I never get tired of playing it.
- Ticket to Ride Game – good for whole family play – a five or six year old may have to be on a team with an older person, especially in the beginning, but kids will enjoy it whether they are on their own team, or on a team with someone else. You have to make very strategic game play choices in this game (whether to use your turn to get more cards, capture a route or go for more destination challenges).
- Subway map transit puzzle – another good activity for the whole family
- Blokus or Travel Blokus or any of the many Blokus incarnations
- Block ‘N’ Roll – really helps if you have Duplos around to go along with this
- Young Cam Jansen books for 1st/2nd grade level readers
- Level 1 Henry and Mudge or Puppy Mudge books for early readers
- Bob Books for non-readers who want to start
- Gifts for Girly Girls: your old costume jewelry and fancy purses
- Ultra Tangoes
- Set card game
- Fun shaped hot water bottle for a kid that gets stomach aches or often has the achy-painies
- Razor scooter
- Jumprope – ultimately portable, great exercise, and this one can shorten to any length
- Stockmar modeling wax – they have different size sets of this. Great for kids who like to fidget.
- Busy Busy Town by Richard Scarry – either the game or the book (the book seems like it is for ages 1-4)
- Harmonica – get a real one, in the key of C for a beginner. They have a wide variety of price points, but there are some cheap ones at guitar center
- Connect Four (don’t need bigger than travel size)
- Chalk – if you’re going to the playground, always have some chalk ready for when boredom strikes!
- Jenga – especially great for 3 & 4 year olds
You may also want to look at the page for gifts for a four year old.