You just totally opened up a cän of wörms so big, that it needed umlauts! I spent months of my life washing, organizing and finding the proper containers for our family Lego collection, and here are the results of all of my husband’s and my trial and error. I’m not saying our methodology is perfect. Far from it, but I tried to use stuff we already had around the house, stuff that would fit in the space we had, as well as divide everything for maximum ease of building. Warning – our system makes deconstruction organizing incredibly time consuming and it is a project unto itself, but as a family, we decided buildability was our priority. And man, we can build.
- Container store Clear Storage Boxes – My “lg” is the regular sweater box, my “med lg” is the men’s shoe box, my “med” is the regular shoe box, and my “sm” is the accessory box.
- The Keter Cantilever Tool Box. It’s a 27-bin organizer and it’s delightful!!!!! I would recommend it for nearly any kind of storage, and it’s especially good for Lego because it opens up so nicely! Loved it so much, I bought TWO. I’m not kidding. Love it!
- Snapware – Medium snap ‘n stack with 6 sectional dividers – Fabulous – love these! And, they are so useful for everything. We used these when we wanted to take Lego and other toys/crafts/drawing supplies out to a friend’s house or restaurant, also.
- Madesmart modular trays – white small bin pack – I don’t know if they still sell white, but the black/graphite ones work just as well!
- Misc Sterilite bins and old Lego education bins
- If you’re looking for a more high design look, check out these acrylic boxes from Containables. I didn’t use any of these, but if I had to do it over again, I might. They look great!
This is what it all looks like put together:
Here’s the break down:
Clear Storage Boxes and similar
- LG containers (1 container per type):
2x bricks – 2×4 and smaller
Ramps, slants and roofs
Wheels, wheel hubs and misc wheel stuff
Windshields, windows, doors, hatches, ladders and stairs
Odds #2 – boat/pirate, castle, soccer, UFO/Space odds
- Med Lg containers (1 container per type):
Hulls, truck fronts, skis and turbos
Larger plates (smaller than baseplates, larger than 2x plates)
Odds #1 – All other odds not in Odds #2
- Med containers (1 container per type)
2x Bricks (2×6 and larger)
- Sm Containers (1 container per type)
Keter Tool Box (27 bins – 12 small, 15 large) – too much to catalog. Here are some pictures:
- Keter 1
- Keter 2
- Snapware: (mostly Technic stuff)
- Madesmart stuff – miscellaneous stuff – I keep a special container of 1×1 plates, even though they are also in my 1x plate box because often I need a lot of them at once for sculptural work.
All of the crazy Bionicle stuff we have is just in a big box in the closet.